Saturday, March 12, 2011

Care Free Cupcakes

Long Beach, CA
Shop: Starbucks on Rodondo Street
Cupcake: Red Velvet mini
Review: The Red Velvet sandwich cake was really great.  Not rich or filling, but very creamy.  The frosting overpowers the cake in flavor by just the right amount.  
I grabbed a pic and sent it from my phone to my computer, and the image was damaged in the process.  I ate the cupcake too soon for another picture, but I like how the photo turned out anyways
I have realized that I can't move to California for a few reasons: 
  1. I am far too relaxed here
  2. The food is way too delicious
  3. I'm not nearly as stylish as most residents (or tourists for that matter)
I really mean it, it's too relaxing here and I am almost never in a productive mood.  Does that change with time and after becoming jaded to the nice weather and ocean view? Probably, because there are a lot of successful people in LA.  But there are some things I really like about it, too.  Not every neighborhood is safe and clean, which keeps people on their toes.  Everyone is pretty darn friendly, but they're not trying too hard and becoming overly friendly.  People on the east coast are known for for being rude and short, I think because they don't want be friendly just for the sake of being friendly.  People in the south are known for being polite and inviting, probably because they do want to be friendly just for the sake of being friendly.  And people out west don't care about much except looking cool and living the good life, mostly because they just want to live the good life.  They're also conscious of their environment and humanitarian needs and actually work towards solutions.  How many cities in the mid-west have curb-side composting and recycling?  Not nearly as many as there are out west.  The west is home to some of the most world-conscious companies: Starbucks, Nike, American Apparel, and Toms Shoes.  And speaking of Starbucks... here's where cupcakes come in.  After a few morning meetings and a DG lunch date I took a trip down Rodondo Street to Starbucks.  Grabbed a cup of Pike's Place Roast and a table, and to my delight they were giving out (you guessed it) free cupcakes.  In honor of their 40 years as a business they have special days when they give out free "petites" treats, and I just happened to catch this one.  
Moral of the story is that sometimes we (or I) try hard not to like things just because it seems too easy.  Take music for example: people feel cooler when they discover lesser known bands and artists, while the rest of us listen to Top 40.  It's like we take the easy way out by listening to Top 40 radio, but really we just listen because that's the most popularly enjoyed music out there!  Like music and free cupcakes, sometimes California is too good to be true.  I keep trying to find reasons why I shouldn't live here, but my excuses are running out.

No comments:

Post a Comment